Skip to Content
Los Angeles

Former Members of Jackass and Sublime Throw A ‘Demolition Party’ In A Vacant Home In Filipinotown

March 28, 2021 in Historic Filipinotown

[dropcap size=big]I[/dropcap]t was a quiet Sunday evening in Historic Filipinotown, and everything was closed down, but near the corner of Rosemont Avenue and Temple Boulevard, if you listened closely, you could hear live music. Down the street, in a small craftsman house that was recently sold and set for demolition, a band formed by the bassist of Sublime called Spray Allen, played an impromptu show hosted by Jackass star Bam Margera.

Inside the neon-lit, graffitied single-family home, mostly unmasked revelers demolished the house’s interior while Spray Allen played covers of Creedence Clearwater Revival and the Misfits. The atmosphere was dangerously fun. Axes and hatchets went through walls that people on the other side blindly stood next to, bats sent pieces of kitchen cabinet through the air, there was a massive hole in the ceiling exposing insulation, and the ground was covered in a carpet of sheetrock dust and rubble. Amazingly, nobody got seriously injured (except for a man that reportedly broke their hand), but by the end of the night, almost everybody was covered in a fine white powder.

The performance was reportedly staged for a music video shoot for the band. While mayhem ensued, Margera paced through the interior of the house at a dizzying pace while holding a phone that never seemed to stop recording while other camera operators collected footage. Margera told his more than 2 million fans on Instagram to meet him at the house earlier in the night. The Jackass star was recently ousted from the latest feature film in the franchise series, reportedly after falling off the wagon. At one point towards the end of the night, Margera took a moment to pose for a photo with a group of fans. “Say fentanyl,” someone said as others took pictures and selfies.

A couple doors down from where the music video shoot, another historic home also faces demolition. Photo by Lexis-Olivier Ray.
A couple doors down from where the music video shoot, another historic home also faces demolition.

The event was staged at one of the many early 20th century homes scooped up in the past few years by developers. Just a couple of doors down, a demolition sign hangs from another craftsman home. Across the street, townhouses at a new “luxury” development rent for more than $4,000 per month in a neighborhood where the median income is less than $30,000 per year and more than 95 percent of residents are renters.

According to the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety (LADBS) online records, a demolition permit has been applied for but has not yet been issued for the addresses associated with the music video shoot. Permits show that the developer is proposing to build a new three-story duplex with a six-car garage. L.A. TACO reached out to an inspector with LADBS by phone and left a message but have not heard back from them.

The lot where the music video was shot at is a "street to street lot", meaning it can be accessed from two streets that run parallel to one another. The band played in the house behind this one. Photo by Lexis-Olivier Ray.
The lot where the music video was shot is a "street to street lot", meaning it can be accessed from two streets that run parallel to one another. The band played in the house behind this one. Photo by Lexis-Olivier Ray.

Despite the name and plethora of late 19th and early 20th century homes, Historic Filipinotown is not considered a Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ), a distinction that creates an extra layer of protection for historic homes. While some people applaud developers for taking single-family homes that cost over a million dollars and subdividing them into less expensive units, others feel that Historic Filipinotown is losing its history and criticize developers for not investing in more affordable housing options.

“I’m deeply troubled by the rash of demolitions of early 20th century homes in Historic Filipinotown and other low-income, majority-renter neighborhoods,” Historian and preservationist Kim Cooper told L.A. TACO a day after the music video shoot. “Whole neighborhoods are becoming unrecognizable, both in terms of the look of the buildings and of the people who live, work and shop there.”

“A demolition should only take place when a valid permit exists and be conducted in a professional manner that doesn’t expose the community to airborne toxins.”

04/17/2021 Update: Following our reporting, at least five code enforcement investigations were initiated by the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety. Four cases have been closed and one is apparently still under investigation. On April 17, 2021 workers were observed by L.A. TACO hauling a fence and other materials from 307 Roselake Avenue. Meanwhile, a mini-excavator was seen demolishing 252 North Rosemont Avenue.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from L.A. TACO

How Jim Henson’s Forgotten ’90s Puppet Entered Foo Culture and Is Feeding Our Endless Nostalgia Craving

Could the Sesame Street creator have ever imagined Baby Sinclair rocking a pair of Nike Cortez’?

February 21, 2026

Daily Memo: ICE Pepper-Sprays and Throws an 80-year-old Attorney, Arrests a Community Watcher, and Takes Seven From Lompoc

Video shows a couple of agents piled on top of Randamaa, shoving his head to the ground as other community members watched in anger and horror. An 80-year-old attorney trying to advocate for the agents to get off Randamaa was pepper-sprayed in the face by one of the agents pinning down Randamaa with the signature Yoga Cobra Pose. As he was pepper-sprayed, you can see the lawyer throws his hands out while blinded, being eventually thrown to the ground by the Yoga agent. 

February 20, 2026

Weekend Eats: Ramadan Feasts at Maydan, Aguja Tortas In Hollywood, and Goat Machito In East L.A.

new dek: "Plus, a new Hokkaido-style fried chicken sandwich from a ghost kitchen in Pico-Union and a new filet mignon taco in Studio City. "

February 20, 2026

Daily Memo: ICE Used 14 Vehicles to Take 6 People from Rancho Cucamonga Courthouse

So essentially what we’re seeing is that Border Patrol is still active down in San Diego, along with ICE. Here, ICE is operating out of their local offices in Santa Ana and San Bernardino. We also know that people are being taken in Los Angeles who show up for their check-ins. These incidents are hard to catch, observe, or document, but we've confirmed that they're happening.

February 19, 2026

The 24 Best Fish and Seafood Tacos In Los Angeles, Mapped

From scallop tacos to fish machaca flautas to a smoked marlin gobernador, here is a taco crawl for our pescatarian friends, and those just looking to eat less meat.

February 19, 2026

Punk Bands Are Bailing on ‘Punk in the Park’ Over Founder’s Trump Donations

L.A. woman-fronted punk band, Naked Aggression, was the first band to pull out. L.A. TACO confirmed that N8NOFACE is also withdrawing from the festival taking place in Vallejo, California, as of this morning. Other bands, like 8 Kalacas, are doubling down and still performing.

February 18, 2026
See all posts